Tuesday 10 November 2015

Honest reviews : Duckscarves

Famous for their trademark zigzag edges and metal dUck logo charm, duckscarves are all the rage nowadays. I have friends who go to great lengths to get limited edition pieces; line up for absolute hours, skip classes, the works lah! Its so impressive, props to dUck and FV for your amazing marketing. Personally, I love the colours the brand offers, they're literally so yummy and are all named after food too! But these shawls come with their own unique set of challenges, that I don't think people (who don't already have duckscarves) know about. I personally feel like these scarves aren't the cheapest, ( RM 120 for a basic premium scarf which are the plain colour ones, and RM 170 for limited edition) and I know some people actually save up for them. I think its only fair that you know exactly what you are buying.

Although I'm not as die hard as a fan as some, I do have my very own duck collection of 5 scarves : two from the bamboo cotton range, one from the peach skin range, one satin silk and a limited edition piece.  I'll be reviewing the scarves range by range.

The Bamboo Cotton Range











From this range, I have the colours Scones ( top row) and Mushroom Soup (bottom row)
First thing to note is that, the actual colours of the scarves aren't exactly as shown in the website. As you can see in both pictures, the website tends to be a little lighter than the actual scarves, still pretty close and theres not thatttt much difference but still. For scones specifically, its really hard to capture the actual colour. It is this lovely pink with an undertone of orange ( honestly one of the prettiest shawls I own), but the closest picture I could get to the actual colour of the scarf is the top right one, (the crumpled one, yes, haha). For the most part, the colours are still so pretty but you should keep them in mind when purchasing online. Also, colour inconsistencies are most apparent in this range.

I have such a love hate relationship with the material of this range. Its soft and is unlike any other cotton scarf, the material is really unique and so nice to touch honestly! But, as you can see in my pictures, they wrinkle SO EASILY. Im talking, taking off the hijab to go pray, and having to put it on the exact same say because the wrinkles are so bad, and Im not even the type to care much. If you want to experiment how to wear a scarf, just do it wrinkled, then iron after you are VERY SURE with how you want it to be. Its also a heavy material, and in addition to the width and length of duckscarves, which are wider and longer than most shawls, its hard to do some looks i.e. the sleeker ones. So take note of your hijab styling as well, cause this material may not work for you. The heavy material also means, no doing anything strenuous in this shawl, its hard to keep on, and also isn't like cooling or anything like that. Not like its hot, its just not cooling. I find that even when going to open houses or doa selamats, really chill functions you know, my pins tend to come off and I have to redo it a lot because of how thick the material is. Overall, if you have a lot of patience, and enjoy a soft, amazing feel to the fingers (thought your head doesn't really feel it lol), this material would work for you.

The Peachskin Range



I have one scarf, in the colour Pecan Pie. On the left is how its shown on the website, and on the right is an unfiltered picture (same goes to the ones above, no filter so you can see the colours!) Its less yellow than in the website irl.

This material is also very unique. It does feel like a peach, sort of fuzzy! (but no visible fuzz don't worry). Its also very elastic, like you can slightly stretch it no kidding. At first I didn't like this, but I found you can actually stretch it to pin it in certain places so it helps with styling, kinda. Its very light as well, and much more cooling in comparison to the bamboo cotton. But it does kind of feel like rubber a bit, only slightly, but enough for me to be like, 'eh apa ni' when I first got it. It doesn't crumple as easily as the bamboo cotton, but if you are particular about wrinkles, you'd still have to iron it back out after experimenting. Still wouldn't work out in this scarf of anything like that, but it is the lightest material of all the dUcks I own. so thats nice. Sleeker styles would work with this one. I started out hating this scarf but now, I quite like it.

The Satin Silk Range



In this range I have the shade chocolate fondue. It looks pretty accurate from the website even. But anyway, I LOVE this satin material. Its not too shiny, like most cheaper satin scarves, so it looks classy. The sheen is just nice, shiny enough to look luxe, but not like, tacky satin shine. Lovely! The satin comes with usual satin problems, its slippery and you'll need a anak tudung and pins and everything, but this is actually my favourite satin tudung. This much be the least crumply material. I think I once didn't even iron it! Its wide and long like all duckscarves, but its light so you can style it pretty easily. No complaints about this range, if you have a fancy event, I say get one from this range.

The KL scarf



Ah, the KL scarf, I know so many people went crazy to get their hands on one of these. Mine was a gift, so I didn't have to go through all the trouble hehe. but it isss beautiful. The KL skyline, printed on a scarf. It works. So note that the print on the white ones is in blue, not black. Like really dark blue, you could still so monochrome with it. As you can see, it crumples too, so need to iron lah! But my main concern with this scarf is, how do you display the print ?!?! Still haven't found a nice way of doing it, but really, even if you only see a bit of stacked up print, people know what you're wearing. Like OMG, the KL scarf. But really, if you can't display the print it doesn't look nice. Ive found one way, but it involves you having a longgggg tudung at the back especially. So yeah. Love having this piece more than I love wearing it. Maybe I should frame it ?


In general, if you hate ironing, do not get a duck scarf. You definitely have to, every single time you want to wear it. If you are travelling, you might want to reconsider packing your ducks, cause of the whole ironing issue. The charms tend to fall off too, Ive had to sew back on one of my charms, but apparently you can email them and they'll send you some charms for free. All shawls are long and wide, so that's something you might want to consider. 

Duckscarf just restocked on Fashion Valet last night so go check them out if you want. I hope this review helped! 

Love,
Mirr









17 comments:

  1. Hello there. Pardon me if I sound rude but I ask this with genuine curiosity; how come you dont wear the tudung anymore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a change if heart. I wore it when I was very young, and perhaps out of fear more than anything and I know I need to start being true to myself and live my life the way I actually want to.Hope you, and everyone else can respect my decision. Thank you.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your answer :) All the best, dear.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for your answer :) All the best, dear.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peace be upon you and an apology in advance for what Im goin to write. A change of heart? Ilmira murni, menutup aurat itu wajib bagi semua muslimah. Sudah jelas hati itu berbolak balik, pegang teguh la pada Islam. Start living your life the way you want? Hidup ini bukan utk dijalani menurut kehendak kita, hamba Allah tapi menurut segala suruhan-Nya. Hidup ini pinjaman ilmira, pinjaman yg satu hari nnti akan hilang dri kita. Im very sad to see you now wearing short skirts and showing your thighs u used to cover. Bila hati itu cenderung kepada dosa, merujuk lah pada mereka yg lebih arif ttg bagaimana spya ia kembali cenderung kepada pahala. Saya minta maaf sekiranya saya seperti tidak menghormati keputusan awak sprti yg awak inginkan tapi tolong ilmira murni, consider what im saying. I know youve been thru so much in 2015 but such trial is never meant to lead you to an action that's against the shariah, but one that makes you revise again ur rltnship with Allah. I didnt mean to be busybody as u may think and u prolly want me to mind my own business but that's what sisters in islam for right? To hold each others hand to gain His redha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Assalamualaikum and hello. Thank you for the advice, its true it makes me uncomfortable when people on the internet scrutinise my choices a lot but I try and assume the best that you are looking out for me. I understand that it is shocking and difficult to some, but I've thought it through. I truly still believe in Islam and I believe in worship and devotion in other ways, it is more than how much I decide to show or cover up my body. I truly truly want to keep an open mind, and if you want, you can contact me personally to talk about religion and my choices. Heres my email : ilmiramurni@yahoo.com. I enjot discourse, and I am open to comments, just doing in anonymously sometimes makes me feel attacked. If you do want to talk to me about this and many pther things, I want to ask you, and whoever else who may be reading, what is worship?

      Delete
  4. Hi. Ive been following you since you were debating in your tkc days. truly admired you. pandai cantik comel and nice. but since you took off your tudung i kinda felt idk? weireded out.. lol. i know its not your place to please anyone but please understand that there are many girls who stumbled upon many days which makes them want to open their hijab, free their hair where cute clothes like a normal tshirt but they dont. including me. i miss being freehair but i know my patience is worth it bcus lillah hi taa'la. i pray you have the patience to cope with covering up too. just felt mcm tak patut dah lama pakai tudung then tetiba bukak. salam, im sorry to offend you btw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey. Its okay, I mean, I truly didn't expect everybody to understand so I don't take too much offense. Im just shocked that a change of apparel automatically changes everything about someone, I believe that In Al-Adl, Allah Maha Adil. I hope he he is fair in weighing your patience to cover up the same way I hope he is fair in weighing whatever ways I manifest my worship. Honest to goodness, didn't do it to look cute. But even if, Ill let Allah judge. If you wanna talk to me more on religion, ask me questions about my decision, or anything at all, feel free to contact me. My email is ilmiramurni@yahoo.com

      Delete
  5. Hello, I love your review on the scarves very much. Thank you. Anyway, I agree that you have to be true to yourself and appreciate the honesty. I know a lot of people who wear hijab just because they are afraid of what other people would think of them and not because of Allah SWT, and as a result they wear like a muslimah but behaved unlike a muslimah. Some cover their heads but could not care less about other parts of their bodies or wearing clothing that do not exhibit modesty (ironically, against the whole purpose of covering up). If you need to do it, do it for the sake of Allah SWT.

    I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your last line is the best advice Ive had in ages , thank you!!!! Thats how I want to attempt to build my life. Hope you are having a blessed day :)

      Delete
  6. hi dear, i just saw your blog when googling for ducks! anyway, re the hijab issues....personally i hope one day you will fully understand the true meaning of hijab, i was a late hijabi myself, i started out wearing mini scarves with jambul di depan when i was younger....as i grow older i started covering myself more bit by bit until i fully understand the meaning of hijab and how even one strand of hair would be questioned in judgment day... wallahualam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, sorry I just realised this! I do hope to understand Islam, aurat being one of the aspects I aim to cover. I have to admit tho, its probably the most hardest to understand! Glad you have found the light. I hope one day, I will too InsyaAllah.

      Delete
  7. Thank god. The reason not to buy the scarves 😂

    ReplyDelete
  8. Drop by here nak baca review pasal duckscarves.. glad you are not a butt-hurt kind of people when receiving straightforward comment like above. I'm not going to condemn you anyway, i'm also not a good hijabi long time ago but slowly try to make it perfect...dari cuba berstoking, bersarung lengan ke tutup dagu. It's all started when you really sedar kepentingan tutup aurat. Or maybe because i just came back from Umrah..I wish, one day when Allah gives Hidayah for you to resume pakai tudung balik..you will cover your aurah as per sharia. That's my pray for you and us. Hope Allah ease everything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi girl. this helps me alot. thanksss

    http://meldaahmad.blogspot.my

    ReplyDelete
  10. hahaha. 1 entry for duck scarves review turned to personal comments. live ur own life girl. as long as u know ur limit as a muslim, its between u and Allah SWT. i dont want to start on which surah asking muslim females to cover their hair...huhuhu okbai

    ReplyDelete