Tuesday 7 July 2015

Friends for keeps

Yesterday night, I met up with a bunch of my friends who I've known since early high school.

I made plans to Iftar with Mire and Acai, since its been a while since I properly hanged out with these two. Since these two friends have been dealing with me for so long now, and life has been testing them  quite a lot recently, I decided to treat them to dinner at Nook, Aloft Kuala Lumpur. They gave us a elevated table which was sort of sectioned off from the crowd, which was nice because Mire and I can get extremely embarrassing in public  comfortable around each other. 





So Mire carries around a bunch of plasters. She's very prone to falling down and bruising herself so its basically necessary. As you can see she's pretty proud about it. Acai battled with the coffee machine 3 times. He got pretty fed up, it was real cute to watch lol. We loaded up on the Ramadan buffet and ended up absolutely stuffed.

Background info!

Amirah (I mean Mire) and I went to the same high school (TKC), which was an all girls government boarding school. We got placed in the same dorm in Form 1, and in the same class from Form 2 up till our senior year. But to be fair, I don't think we needed all this setting up. We got close overanalysing books, movies, songs and overall concepts, and eventually got labelled 'pembangkang kelas' for all our crazy questioning. We're almost polar opposites, but she's been by my side through everything and I absolutely love her.

I had a crush on Faisal (read : Acai) in Form 2. We we're both the reserves in our respective debate teams and we met at HKSBP in Kelantan. He was one year older and probably the best looking guy in the whole tournament. A few tournaments and years later, I realised we make better friends than we ever would a couple, and we've been that way ever since. He's the elder brother figure in my life, and I appreciate his harsh advice all the time.


Oh yeah, Im also their favourite 3rd wheel. 

After we were done with dinner, we met up with Jason, Kelvin and Razzaq. We headed to Sakae Sushi since they hadn't eaten yet, and later chilled at Aloft's rooftop pool. It has a great view and they had bean bags out so it was great to just chill and catch up.

Jason, Razzaq, and Kelvin were also friends I met via debate. Here's a pic of us back in 2013, when we all represented Malaysia in Turkey. 


It was a big deal this reunion, because Razzaq left for the UK to do A levels and Jason to Costa Rica to do IB at UWC, and it was the first time I would meet the both of them, together, after a year of being in three different time zones. I've gotten real close to this two, Razzaq and I are eternally shipped (we are not in love, sorry to disappoint!)  and Jason gives the best hugs ever, and it works. It was so so good to see them, I kept taking candid photos of the two (I'm kind of clingy so...)



It was such a great night, being around friends who have stuck around for me for literally years. I went home feeling so loved, and before I went to bed, I thought about how lucky I am. 

Its easy to not count the the blessings you have when you've hit a low, its so easy to forget all that you have. But you should always try, because if you keep focusing on the things you don't have, you miss out on all the gems you have in your hands. Yesterday reminded me that I am blessed with so many people who love me, who have put up with my ever changing life choices and chose to be there for me, literally no matter what. So if you ever need a pick me up, make plans with old friends, and make it a point to think only good things, stop playing with your phone, and just, enjoy the company. It makes such a difference, and I know its common sense, but its something so many of us forget. 

I truly am blessed. Even now Im at Saida's, in my kaftan with smores and Iced Peach Tea. I can only hope to be as much a a friend to all these people as they are to me.

Takeaway of the day :
Give credit to those who love you.

Love, 
Mirr

No comments:

Post a Comment