Saturday 9 July 2016

Explore KL : Lake Gardens

Do you guys realise that KL has so many shopping malls. Its crazy, and for some reason, we're still building new ones. 

Without meaning to sound snobby or bratty, I truly feel like I've outgrown shopping malls ; I just really dislike being in such a huge closed off building. The only kind of malls you'd find me chilling at are the likes of Publika or Bangsar Village, where its more opened up and airy and doesn't really feel as if you're walking around a huge concrete block. 

As someone who loves going out but hates malls, I find it really sad that its hard for me to find things to do in my chill time, other than 'get coffee'. I feel like Malaysia and KL has so much to offer culturally and historically, but its quite sad that our museums, memorials and parks aren't really given much attention. I understand, KL is hot, who wants to sit in a park all day. But for the select few who are like me and don't mind a day in the sun, or walking around an empty museum, I'm starting this small section on my blog called Explore KL, where I'll write about the other things you can do, other than going to a mall and watching a movie.

First up, Lake Gardens!




The very first day of the year, my best friend Saida and I wanted to go for a picnic and she suggested we head to lake gardens. Before 1st January 2016, I never knew this place even existed-despite it being 10 minutes away from my house, but its now one of my favourite places in the city, so props to Saida for bringing me here. Lake Gardens is a huge park and I daresay its the most well maintained park in the city. It has small sections in the park where there are smaller displays, like one section are all plants that you can eat, theres a bamboo house you can play at, theres a huge playground, and admission for everything is free! The yellow structure pictured above are roofs for a skate park, nothing extreme but still looks like an uber fun place to skate or ride your bike at.











Like most parks it has a lot of greenery, and these huge pot things that scream " TAKE A PICTURE FOR THE GRAM" Definitely a good instagram spot, if you're the type. I normally go in the morning and its pretty cooling, no scorching heat and you don't have to worry too much about sweating buckets. Like I mentioned before, they have a bunch of little areas with different types of plants, so you can learn a lot about nature just by walking through the park. 




There's a little deer park, but I think it only opens after 12pm. I'm not sure how good it is because I'm always home by 10 am on my lake garden visits. Theres also a few of theres huge tree houses, which are the coolest! I brought my (now ex) boyfriend for a picnic in a treehouse here, and it was such a good day. Windy and surrounded by greenery, its the ultimate spot for picnic, and normally you can get the whole tree house to yourself (since no-one appreciates things like this, the park is never full). 







Theres a hugeeee playground and a few little ponds, and I forgot to take a picture but theres also this huge bamboo treehouse complex which is a fun place to just sit around. Near the carpark, theres a small shop selling nasi lemak, nasi dagang and the likes. I've only been here in the morning so I'm not too sure about operating hours, but its a nice place to eat after a morning jog. Also, my favourite, theres a few stalls selling orchids for really cheap here!






This is my go to place for potted orchids because they last me very long and can be as low as RM 8! Or course, some would be more expensive but I normally spend less than RM 20 on my trips and I get something to cheer up my room for 3 months.

So there you have it, do pay Lake gardens a visit if you want to hang out somewhere a little out of the ordinary. Its a huge park, and the skate area and bamboo house is not near the main parking area, so take your time to walk around and explore. Its open from 7am to 8pm daily, and sometimes they have flower and art exhibits, so it really is a nice space. Also, let me know in the comments if there are any cool places I could go to in KL. I'm hoping to post at least once every two weeks about the not so popular gems of my city, and hopefully, if people start becoming more interested, the government and private companies will take initiative to maintain these places better. There's so much our city has to offer, we just gotta look around a little more.

Love,
Mirr







No comments:

Post a Comment